Pool > Lessons > Adults
Lesson Stages 1-7 are the ideal step forward from the Ducklings Programme. Comprised of 7 distinct stages, children go from the use of swimming aids, to being able to confidently swim unaided. The stages are outlined in detail below:
- Travel 10 metres using alternating kicking action. (Aids if necessary)
- Travel 10 metres using simultaneous kicking action. (Aids if necessary)
- Standing, arms outstretched in water, show an underwater alternating arm action.
- Standing, arms outstretched in water, show an underwater simultaneous arm action.
- Achieve a horizontal position on the back. (Aids if necessary)
- Face in water, blow bubbles for 5 seconds.
- Bob up and down, head submerged. Repeat 6 times.
- Hop, skip, and jump moving freely around pool.
- Identify an underwater object with eyes fully opened
- Enter water using a swivel entry.
- Kick 10 metres using a simultaneous action.
- 5 metres on front using arms and legs.
- Kick 10 metres using an alternating action on back.
- Kick 10 metres using an alternating action on front.
- 10 metres on back using arms and legs.
- Show a motionless float, hold for 10 seconds.
- Rotate through 360 degrees in a vertical position, feet off the floor.
- Push off wall or floor on front showing a horizontal position. Face in water.
- Push off wall or floor on back showing a horizontal position.
- Climb out of pool without the use of steps.
Level 3 - INTERMEDIATE
- Travel 10 metres on the front using legs and arms, roll, and continue for 5 metres on the back using legs and arms.
- Kick 10 metres using a Backcrawl leg action. Arms extended overhead and hands together.
- Kick 10 metres using a Breaststroke leg action. Hands and arms still and outstretched.
- Kick 10 metres using a Front Crawl leg action. Hands and arms still and outstretched.
- Mushroom float for 10 seconds.
- Jump in entering feet first and showing control in flight and on landing (Minimum depth 0.9m)
- Using two feet and on the back push and glide from wall into a streamlined position with arms stretched overhead and in line with the body. Hold for 5 seconds.
- In water of at least shoulder depth, tread water for 30 seconds.
- Scull head first, on back for 5 metres.
- From a horizontal, flat stretched position (face in water) rotate through 360 degrees and regain the standing position.
- Swim 25 metres full stroke Backcrawl showing basic technique with regular breathing.
- Swim 25 metres full stroke Front Crawl showing basic technique with regular breathing.
- Using a dolphin action, without a float, kick 10 metres on the front.
- Swim 25 metres full stroke Breaststroke showing basic technique with regular breathing.
- A star float on the front or the back for 10 seconds.
- A head first surface dive, in water of at least full stretch height to show complete submersion.
- A feet first surface dive to show complete submersion.
- Submerge, move underwater to an object positioned 5 metres away, pick up and return to start on back carrying the object.
- Tread water, using hands and feet, for a minimum of 15 seconds, to include 2 x 360 degrees turns in the vertical position, one in each direction.
- Start with a push glide swim underwater, through a hoop, covering a distance of 5 metres.
Level 5 - ADVANCED
- Swim 25 metres on each of the other two strokes showing efficient technique (10 -20 second rest to be taken after 25 metres)
- Kick 25 metres on both Breaststroke and Butterfly. Use a float for Breaststroke and arms extended in front for Butterfly. (5 - 10 sec rest to be taken after 25 metres)
- Kick 50 metres on either Front or Back Crawl showing efficient technique. Use a float for Front Crawl and arms extended above for Back Crawl.
- A correct hand touch turn for Breaststroke covering a distance of 5 metres before and after the turn.
- A correct turn for Butterfly covering a min. of 5 metres before and after the turn.
- Swim continuously 50 metres on each of two strokes showing efficient technique throughout. (10 - 20 secs rest after 50 metres)
- A correct hand touch turn for Backcrawl covering a distance of 5 metres before and after the turn.
- From a feet first surface dive swim underwater to retrieve a brick from the bottom of the pool (min. depth full reach height), surface and carry the object for a distance of 10 metres on back and land it on the poolside.
- A sequence combining: push and glide on back head first, scull for 5 metres, back somersault, feet first scull for 5 metres, rotate 360 degrees in a vertical tucked position.
- Two different jumps with body straight on entry into water of at least full reach depth, gaining height and taking up a different position in flight selected from straight, tuck, pike, star, turning.
- A Front Crawl tumble turn covering a minimum distance of 5 metres before and after the turn.
- Complete 25 metres on each stroke showing an appropriate turn. Butterfly - Back Crawl; Back Crawl - Breaststroke; Breaststroke - Front Crawl.
- Swim 4 x 1 widths of any stroke showing correct use of the pace clock for start time and rest periods.
- Swim continuously for 150 metres any stroke or combination of strokes showing efficient technique throughout (covering a minimum of 25 metres continuously on any of the strokes used)
- Torpedo scull, on back feet first, hands overhead, for 10 metres with/without leg support.
- Tread Water (min. depth full reach height) and pass a ball accurately to a partner 5 metres away.
- A plunge dive into water of at least full reach height holding the streamlined position and covering a distance of at least 5 metres.
- Swim continuously for 3 mins in a circuit, include, 1 feet first surface dive, 1 head first surface dive, 1 swim through a hoop (below surface), tread water 15 secs with one arm out of water. Climb out of deep end.